Should the "guid" data type in AAAA_Common XSD be changed?

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Hi - I'm from DDS and have been asked to work on this project..  

The AAAA_Common.xsd "guid" data type pattern currently includes a leading '^' and a trailing '$'.

From AAAA_Common.xsd :
  <xs:simpleType name="guid">
    <xs:annotation>
      <xs:documentation xml:lang="en">The representation of a GUID, generally the id of an element.</xs:documentation>
    </xs:annotation>
    <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
      <xs:pattern value="^[a-fA-F\d]{8}-[a-fA-F\d]{4}-[a-fA-F\d]{4}-[a-fA-F\d]{4}-[a-fA-F\d]{12}$" />
    </xs:restriction>
  </xs:simpleType>

In this context the '^' and the '$' are not interpreted  as meta-characters in XML Schema, and would need to be included as part of the guid value in the XML document.  

For example, a valid guid would be similar to this:

<ebm:UniqueMessageID>^00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000001134$</ebm:UniqueMessageID>

This is probably not what was intended and these characters should probably be removed from the guid data type pattern.

Thanks,
Sandy

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Sandy,

You seem to have an old version of the AAAA_Common.xsd file. The correct one has the following pattern for the Guid: \{[a-fA-F0-9]{8}-[a-fA-F0-9]{4}-[a-fA-F0-9]{4}-[a-fA-F0-9]{4}-[a-fA-F0-9]{12}\} with the carat and dollar sign removed, as you rightly point out. Not sure where that latest file is but I thought Jeremy had updated the zip file. Perhaps you need to re-download the standards. if you still run into issues let us know.

Cheers,

Lon Pilot

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2009 at 4:40 PM

It's definitely possible I could have gotten the wrong file : )

I downloaded the file again, from http://iabebusiness.codeplex.com/. 

The file I received is "E-Business Standards v1_0_beta_20090611.zip" and I checked the AAAA_Common,xsd (last edited on 10/28/2008 5:48PM) and it still had the '^' and '$' characters. 

Is this the most recent file?  If not, if someone please tell me what the current file is and where it is posted?

Thanks,

Sandy

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Sandy,

That appears to bet he most recent zip file but it is definitely NOT the most recent AAAA_Common.xsd! The date on that file should be 4/27/2009 so there muist have been a mistake when Jeremy updated the zip file. I'll ping him directly and see if he can re-upload the latest files. In the meantime I'll post the most recent file, if I can, and let you know.

Lon

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Sandy,

Found the latest file(s) they are under the Source Code tab. If you click on the Patches link at the top you'll see the 4/27 update file (linked here: http://iabebusiness.codeplex.com/Project/Download/FileDownload.aspx?DownloadId=66806). I will check with Jeremy to see if he can re-apply these updates to the current zip file in the downloads section.

Lon

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Thanks Lon.  I'll use these 3 files from 4/27 with the other files from the 6/11/09 zip file.

Sandy